The Deadman Night Rider

A forum for evening students of the SMU Dedman School of Law and other outlaws..

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hitting close to the mark...

An anonymous poster left this message concerning the previous post on heroin programs in Iran:

Gosh, all of talk about Iran and heroin junkies makes me want to pack up my bags asap and get back over there where the real action is!

While I'm pretty sure my mystery poster was kidding me a bit, there is actually alot to this--if there was one spot that I could magically put myself right now, Iran would be it (or as close as US citizens can get). Iran has the potential this year to overshadow Iraq as the major crisis spot in the world--here's some background.

Another angle that makes this more interesting for me in particular is the role Russia and China play in all of this, and the impact it will have on the energy markets for the next several years. Not just in politics, but even in finance, Russia and Central Asia are where the action is--check out this article on IPO's set for the London Stock Exchange this year originating from the area. We usually associate Iran with the Middle East, but it is actually more accurate to classify it as a Central Asian country since it shares long borders with the Former Soviet countries. If a reliable commerce circuit could open up through Iran, these countries would no longer be landlocked, so there is potential there as well.

Anyway, to sum up, maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, but there's alot going on in that part of the world just now, and I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could. Maybe in just a couple more years...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope so

mynewsbot.com

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home