The Deadman Night Rider

A forum for evening students of the SMU Dedman School of Law and other outlaws..

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Halfway orientated...

Last night went well - orientation ran 6 - 10PM, with a second four-hour round tonight. The evening class is actually alot younger than I expected based on the meet&greet dinner a couple of months ago, but still older than what I would expect from a regular law school class.

One thing I noted with a bit of surprise was the number of people offering to comment during a presentation from two professors on basic ethical conflicts. In most courses I've taken over the years, even advanced accounting classes where most of the students were fairly motivated, it was unusual to see more than two or three people actively comment in class unless directly called on - most people just kind of sink in and passively absorb lectures. The opposite was true in this case - there were many times more people trying to get into the discussion than time allowed. I was also struck by how informed and articulate the level of discourse was - really a big change from anything I've been exposed to.

I guess I've come to expect a certain amount of disinterest in the wider world in people (for example, I knew several financial analysts when I worked at Core who honestly couldn't locate the countries they were responsible for on a map or tell you anything at all about them, not even what their native language might be), so this was a welcome surprise.

4 Comments:

Blogger rkellus said...

Apparently, you have taken your first step into a broader world.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Google Pushes Deeper Into Microsoft Software
Google Inc. has launched a tool that lets subscribers to its blog-hosting service write and post blogs directly from Microsoft Word, a move that reflects the search engine's determination to stake its claim on ...
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a relocating to site. It pretty much covers relocating to related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :)

7:11 PM  
Blogger Andria said...

Wheeeee....here we go! Eat law. Sleep law. Drink law. Dream law. Read law. Think law. Process law. Question law. Live law. What's a few years when we're talking about the rest of our lives, right? A cyber-toast to us both with a wish for bravery, sanity, patience, wisdom, humor, strength, and stamina. Good luck, old friend.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog.... I check in each day to see what interesting subject you are gong to talk about and try to stay informed.

Interesting world we live in...

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home